Tuesday, 25 January 2011
I realised over the last few days that I hadn't actually made a piece of jewellery in months! Totally weird...
I had this gorgeous large Smokey Quartz briolette, that needed a decent setting, and the designs kind of called to me. Before I knew it, I was sculpting in silver clay again
The fine silver "frame" is embellished with a sterling silver wire sculpture.I love combining the two effects. I have tried this out before, but I'm getting better at it :)
Hope you love this piece as much as I do!
Friday, 21 January 2011
I finally finished my Venice Mask, and am really happy with the results.
I changed my mind over almost every aspect of it, but in the end, I went with making a crown, and a faded grungy wallpaper background, with matching rich colours.
She has a rather imperious look about her, don't you think?
It reminded me a little of "Mirror, Mirror, on the wall..." from Snow White, I think it must be her angular, pointy crown.
The whole thing is set on a square piece of MDF wood, which I textured in black polymer clay and gold paint. Its 20cms x 20cms (about 8 inches square) in total
CLICK THUMBNAIL FOR FULL VIEW
Sunday, 16 January 2011
I've collected miniature Venetian Masks, since my first visit to Venice as a teenager. They've always seemed to be enigmatic and glamorous.
I decided to have a go at creating a mask, out of polymer clay.
Sculpting faces was tricky at first, with some comical effects at times, but I managed to come up with a few decent ones, after a bit of practice.
Creepy aren't they, when not decorated...
I chose this one to adorn first
I used some antiqued music paper (from Deviant art resources),polymer clay,and acrylic paints to create the effects.
It has turned out so beautiful!
The next stage is to set it on an MDF base, and to add embellishments to the crown of the head. At the moment, I'm thinking I may go with a court jester head dress, with an abstract background...but I'm not sure
Anyway, it will be fun to experiment with :)
Sunday, 9 January 2011
I made a cover for my sketchbook, using some new techniques I've been playing with.
Liquid Polymer clay is something I love to use as a paint medium, especially when mixed with oil paints, and pearl ex powders.
I've been coming up with some lovely results recently.
So I made a rather exotic looking flower, with painted petals, for the book cover. Here is a close up of the flower, and its petals
I am toying with the idea, of combining this with metal clays. Silver might be a bit pricey, but I do have some Bronze clay I want to try out, I'm just waiting for the no flake foil, to turn up from cool tools :)
Sunday, 2 January 2011
As you can see, I have been doing a lot of experimenting recently.
I've made these Snake like looking pieces, which look like they should represent Slytherin or something, don't they?
The hubby has been off for his hols, so as any normal couple would do, we thought we'd don our white coats , goggles and gloves for a spot of electroforming in the conservatory LOL
We bought an inexpensive kit,from Gateros plating. They sell components individually, and have specialist kits too.
Anyway, I made some crackled foil polymer clay pieces, and painted on the copper conductive paint.
After drying, we popped them into the tank, and set our current and temperature (we messed around a bit with all the levels, just to see what happened)
And here are close ups of the results...
The copper plating is smooth, and has a tight uniform grain.
On another piece, I increased the temp, and current, and the grain, was more coarse and organic, with plenty of texture
I think I'll go with the more organic look for the next lot...I'll be sure to take photos :)